Actiontec FV2200 Frontier: Easy to use DSL modem with built-in WIFI
WIFI is definitely a technology with plenty of benefits, by allowing us to connect any number of devices to a wireless network, easily and with no troubles respecting cables or access points on the wall, with enough speed for everyday tasks and even heavy usage as full-HD streaming and other services and platforms that require a lot more bandwidth.
On the other hand, wireless connectivity may be related with some challenges or disadvantages if is directly compared with wired networks, in terms of security and general reliability or speed, although these last two seem to be overcome in recent years.
Now, safety of the wireless connection has always been a concern for users due to the possibility intruders may access, decreasing the bandwidth speed in general and getting into personal data on mobile phones and computers connected to the network.
This is when establishing a proper WIFI password and other security parameters on the emitting router becomes critical, as in the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier DSL wireless modem that is compatible with plenty of ISP enterprises across the United States and the world. Prior to the setting process, let’s check this device in more depth and its possibilities.
Advanced functions on the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier wireless modem and router
The Actiontec FV2200 Frontier is a high-end wireless modem and router for DSL-based internet service providers across the world, as a 2-in-1 or all-purposed device designed for houses, offices or even companies that have small to medium connectivity requirements for wired and wireless devices across the board.
This is modem is fast and reliable, with plenty of functions and protocols that guarantee the fastest connection possible and addressing all the security features that must be present in a device of this sort, as a matter that are considered important here in terms of WIFI security. Here are some of the specs of the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier:
- RJ11 phone line port: being DSL, the modem is built-in with a RJ11 phone line port for internet connection, with great compatibility among ISP companies as a direct advantage in comparison to other service suppliers based on optic fiber, which modem use and devices must be checked first for compatibility.
- 4 RJ45 LAN ports: the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier includes 4 RJ45 LAN ports on the back, so up to four different devices can be connected by wire, in order to obtain that valuable full bandwidth and general reliability of physical connection that appreciated in high-end computers, gaming consoles and other terminals.
- Built-in WIFI: the modem includes a built-in single-band WIFI connection for mobile devices, acting as a 2-1 or whole purpose hardware that can do both functions, without the need of purchasing separated emitters or modems.
- WPA2-PSK support: the modem includes the latest WIFI encryption protocol as WPA2-PSK, which is the most secure in terms of connectivity and protection for WIFI networks and keep intruders away, as we will be seeing in the next sections.
- NAS options: this modem is able to manage NAS or Network Attached Storage servers, as a businesses or high-end solution for companies that manage great amounts of data.
Accessing the options and internal configuration of the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier
In order to set WIFI passwords and manage other different parameters and configurations on the modem, we need to access it directly and start tweaking with the variety of functions. To do so, the device must be connected to a computer or mobile phone or tablet, physically or wirelessly that act as visual screen.
It is a very easy process by following the next steps:
- Turn on the computer or access device as a smart phone, as well as the modem router so they both can be up and running.
- There are two ways to connect the modem to the access device: if it is a computer or laptop, the recommendation is connect both of them via LAN through the yellow ports on the back. If the access device is a phone or tablet, the best way is to connect them to the modem wirelessly through WIFI, which at this point should be open.
Now that the modem and computer or phone can communicate with each other, we can access the settings by following the next easy steps:
- Using the browser of choice, open a new tab. Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge or any other is ideal, although recent versions will guarantee best connectivity.
- On the URL bar, enter the modem´s URL address that in this case is: “192.168.254.254”
- A new prompt window will appear as the modem asking for access credentials. For Username and Password the credential is “admin” in both cases. In case credentials have been changed, the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier must be returned to default settings by pressing the Reset button on the back a few seconds.
Changing WIFI and other parameters on the Actiontec FV2200 Frontier
We are in now, and therefore we can start changing parameters and set the new WIFI password by browsing the main menus on the home screen. On the top, there are the main option as “Main”, “Connected Home”, “Firewall” and other. We will be clicking on “Wireless Setup”.
On the left a sub-menu with different options will appear, while on the right the general status of the wireless connection, devices connected and other information is shown. On the sub-menu on the left, we will be clicking on “Change Wireless Settings”. In this section, we are going to follow the next step:
- In the “SSID” option you can change the name of the network by adding a new one on the blanks.
- Down below, choose the type of encryption wanted for the WIFI network. “WPA2-PSK” is the best recommendation due to its security.
- Now, in “Passphrase” enter the new password that will have to be introduced every time a device wants to access. A 13 characters password will do just fine, especially if it included numbers and letters.
- Click on “Apply” and the modem will reboot automatically to save the changed. The configuration is completed.