WIFI is definitely of those technologies that is present in every house, office, business or any other place, providing fast internet connectivity without any wires or other impracticality and for multiple devices at once, from local computers and laptops to mobile handhelds such as smart phones, tablets, wearables and even appliances that now are able to be connected to WIFI.
Therefore, the importance of having a secure network and protected WIFI connectivity is imperative, due to the amount of personal information devices carry and that can be accessed by intruders if connections are not safe, along with decrease in bandwidth and loss of performance and general speed in upload and download stream.
Fortunately, it is possible to protect WIFI in a very simple way by changing the passphrase, along with other procedures and technologies that allow to protect the network. In this case, we will be showing the easy steps to change the WIFI password on a RAC2V1S wireless router, a model manufactured by Sagemcom that is also known as Wave 2.
Functions provided by the RAC2V1S WIFI Router
Before getting deeper into the steps to set the WIFI password on the RAC2V1S wireless router, there are some options and functionalities the device offers in terms of security, configuration, bandwidth and technologies in general to provide a better and faster experience for the user. Some of these possibilities are:
- WIFI technology on its latest AC protocol, along with 802.11 a/b/g/n that makes the router compatible with a whole set of new devices, with the fastest speeds, reliability, security and future proving in general for years to come.
- Compatibility with the IPV6 protocol for internet connection, since IPV4 is getting obsolete and more and more webpages are being created and stored under this new technology.
- Dual Band platform for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for ultimate speeds and connections that surpass the 300 Mbps, with better coverage in surrounding spaces near the RAC2V1S wireless router.
- Parental Control for better management of devices connected to the network that are used by teenagers and children, in order to protect them from unappropriated content.
- WPA2-PSK type of encryption for practically impossible WIFI passwords of being hacked, as the latest sort available in comparison to WAP and WEP, which are considered unsafe and vulnerable.
- USB Type-A port built-in to connect external devices to the network and access their files, easily and without connecting them directly to the computer.
- Easy GUI interface to set the parameters and configurations on the wireless router, with simple menus and advanced features that can be accessed on multiple devices.
Considerations to have prior setting the WIFI password on the RAC2V1S
Before starting the process to set the WIFI password and protect the network on the Sagemcom RAC2V1S wireless router, there are some things that will be required to make the procedure easier and manage every aspect properly, along with the main possibility of having actual access to the device from the computer, laptop or smartphone from which the router is going to be set.
To begin with, it is recommendable to connect the wireless router to the device from which it will be set by physical wire, through the LAN port on the back of the device to the computer. However, there is also the possibility to set the router wirelessly by simply connecting it to a tablet, laptop or smartphone via the emitted WIFI network and like this access to settings will be possible to have.
Whatever the type of connection selected, via wire or wirelessly the process to access and set the device is the same and does not change in steps. Now, physical connection is usually more reliable, fast and easier for the computer to get the router’s gateway and start the process of configuration more properly and without step backs.
Changing the WIFI password on the Sagemcom RAC2V1S or Wave 2 wireless router
Let’s start the process to set a properly secure and strong password for the WIFI network emitted by the RAC2V1S, following the next easy steps that are going to be explained thoroughly and in detail, which are:
- Turn on the wireless router and connect it to the device to be used to access the emitter, either via WIFI or by wire through the LAN port on the back. This last option is the one that must be chosen if the RAC2V1S is going to be configured by a computer or local device with no WIFI receiver.
- On the device to set the wireless router, open a new window or tab on the browser of choice. Edge, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera or any other will work just fine, although it is recommendable the software is up to date.
- Locate the URL address bar on the open tab or window and type the number sequence: “192.168.1.1” and then press Enter on the keyboard.
- A new prompt window will be generated requiring the credentials to access the router. By default, the RAC2V1S´s IDs are the word “admin” for both the username and password. In case the router does not provide access, the credentials were changed in the past and the device must be restored to factory settings.
- Inside the router, choose changing WIFI settings over the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band, depending on the hired service.
- Now, a main menu will appear with five options to choose from. In this case, we are going to choose the “Basic” tab.
- In here, we can change virtually any configuration regarding WIFI. For example, to change the name of the network, type the name on the “WIFI Network Name” space bar.
- Down below are the security settings. In here, choose “WPA-2 Personal” on the Security Setting, and then on WIFI Password enter a new one and confirm it on the second bar that says “Confirm WIFI Password”.
- Click on “Apply” and the settings will be applied after the wireless router has been rebooted. Now, the network is now protected with a proper passphrase from intruders and possible security risks that put private information from users in danger.