Having a secure and protected internet network and connection is very important these days, in order to avoid intruders that may have access to critical data and also to avoid decreasing in performance of the network´s speed and reliability.
To avoid all of these issues and manage every parameter of the connection, there is the need to enter the wireless router and set the configurations properly, such as establishing an adequate encrypted password, set a Mac filters, hide the network broadcasting and more.
In TP-Link routers is easy to login and modify every function for the best convenience. Let´s learn how to access an emitting device of this brand, how to set a proper WIFI password and other procedures to keep the network safe from intruders, and as speedy as possible.
What do we need to enter and login a TP-Link router?
To start the process, we need two main things: a TP-Link wireless router in any of the models offered by the brand that must be up and running, along with a compatible device that could be a computer, laptop, smartphone or tablet.
If we use a computer or laptop, it is recommended to utilize a wired connection between the device and the router using a LAN port, while if we use a smartphone or tablet we get to take advantage of the wireless connectivity and get the handheld linked through the emitted WIFI network. Either way will work just fine.
Starting the Process to Login on a TP-Link Router: Entering the Credentials
Having connected both the TP-Link router and the device to perform the setting procedure, we can start by following the next steps:
- With the router connected and working, open a new window or tab on the internet browser of choice. Chrome, Mozilla, Edge or any other updated internet browser is recommended, either in a laptop or PC or a mobile device as a smartphone as well.
- In the address bar of the browser enter the next IP address: “192.168.1.1”, which is the default gateway to enter the TP-Link routers. For more recent models, the address “www.tplinkwifi.net” will work too, as an easier way to enter the router.
- Press Enter on the keyboard and a new prompt window or page will load depending on the model, asking for the router´s credentials that by default are: “admin” for username and “admin” for password. In some models, the password is unique and is printed on the back of the router.
- By pressing Enter, the router should grant access and settings can be modified.
Changing Default Settings Regarding Login Credentials on TP-Link Routers
Having accessed to the TP-Link router, we are going to be able to manage and modify every setting respecting security, bandwidth, wireless, general configurations and more. More importantly, inside the router is possible to modify the access credentials and avoid unauthorized entree to the device, since default username and password can be searched online.
To do so and change the default access credentials on the TP-Link router for login, follow the next steps:
- Access the router by using the preferred internet browser and following the detailed steps in the previous section.
- On the router´s homepage, find the main menu on the left side on the screen and click or tap on “System Tools”.
- Scroll down a little bit if needed and click or tab on the “Password” option on the router. A new set of functions should appear in the middle of the screen.
- To change credentials and add new ones, the system will require to enter the old ones in the blank spaces: “Old User Name” and “Old Password”.
- Scrolling down, there are the available spaces for entering the new credentials: “New User Name”, “New Password” and “Confirm New Password”. It is recommended to enter strong passwords so the security and encryption on the device is as secure as it gets, including letters, symbols and numbers at once.
- When all the information is entered, click or tap on “Save” and all changes must be applied.
- The router should reboot automatically.
In the case old credentials are forgotten or do not allow access to the router, it would be impossible to enter and modify any parameter. Fortunately, by returning the device to default settings is possible to try again, since in this case default credentials should work.
Changing the WIFI Password on a TP-Link Router
Other setting to change immediately after accessing a TP-Link router is modifying and adding a new password for the WIFI network, which in some models remain open after is connected, for others there is a default WIFI password. In any case, it is recommended to change and add a unique and own password for better security. This is the process:
- Enter the TP-Link router by following the procedure shown on the first section.
- On the main menu to the left of the home screen, click or tap on “Wireless”.
- On the generated sub-menu, click on “Wireless Security”.
- On the center a few options will appear, scroll down if required and check the “WPA/WPA2 Personal” option.
- Fill the “PSK Password” space with a new passphrase. 13 characters at least must be entered for the password to be valid.
- Click on “Save” and changes will be applied after the router is rebooted.
In this way, any TP-Link router will have a proper an unique WIFI password with a WPA2-PSK encryption, which is practically immune to security breaches and hacks, so the network and private information on mobile devices connected to it will remain safe.